Welcome to FestiFall!
THANK YOU for helping us make history as part of the first-ever Menace Soccer FestiFall. We are PUMPED that you’re on board for this fun, Thanksgiving-themed event at Aliber Soccer Complex.
Everything is a go for Saturday, and I want to ensure you and your teams have the following info to help you prepare for our time together.
Here are some hopefully helpful answers to some questions you might have...
WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?
- Because 5v5 soccer is FUN, and this is our last opportunity to lace up the cleats for some outdoor action this fall.
- It’s about creating memories, so thanks for being half-crazy enough to make this possible!
- And did we mention the Pumpkin Pie?
WHEN ARE THE GAMES ON SATURDAY?
- The schedules are posted on the tournament website. Though some team names have changed, we have not changed any times or field numbers from the original schedule.
- This pdf is available under the “MESSAGE CENTER” box on the left column, or by clicking on the “SCHEDULES” link at the top of the page.
- Games are 30 minutes each, and we’ll be starting them every 40 minutes, to the best of our abilities. We’re asking for your help to keep on this tight schedule. Players and coaches: Please be ready to step on the field ready to play each game, on time. Thanks!
WHAT WILL THE WEATHER BE LIKE?
- The forecast calls for a high in the low 40s with cloudy skies and a chance for rain.
- Time to bust out the winter coats, hats and gloves. And bring your umbrellas and positive attitudes!
- In the event of any schedule changes, we will record updates on our weather hotline: 515 457 6378.
WHAT ARE THE RULES?
- Please review the official rules.
- No goalkeepers, no offsides calls, no throw-ins and no ball contact within the goal box.
- Goals can be scored only from the offensive half.
HOW DO WE GET TO ALIBER SOCCER COMPLEX?
- The address: 6226 Grand Avenue in Des Moines.
- First-time visitors often have difficulty finding Aliber, so please check out the map on this page.
- Directions from Interstate 235:
- o 1. Get off I-235 at Exit 4 (63rd Street toward the Valley Junction area)
- o 2. Follow 63rd Street south for a little less than a mile.
- o 3. At the stop light, turn left onto Grand Avenue and follow this east for just a few feet.
- o 4. Take your very first right (before the Advance Auto Parts) and follow this unnamed road to Aliber Soccer Complex, which is on your left, just past Pal Joey’s and before you reach The Sand Volleyball Club.
HOW DO WE CHECK IN OUR TEAM?
- All teams must check in at least 30 minutes before your first game. My sidekick Lyle and I will be welcoming your teams at a check-in table inside the Shed that looks like a little house.
- Please hand in your copies of the Waiver/Roster Form and show proof of age for each participant. More check-in details can be found here.
- For proof of age, you do not need a special form. We accept any documents or ID cards that show your players are not over-age for their respective age groups. You can use birth certificates, school IDs, soccer player passes, passports, driver’s licenses…And paper copies are acceptable. We only need to see the proof of age, and we will not be holding on to any of these items.
WHAT’S THE PARKING LIKE?
- Parking is limited, so please car-pool if possible.
- Drivers should plan on walking a considerable distance from their parking spot to the main entrance. (On the plus side, this means more exercise…)
- There is no charge for parking.
- There are two parking lots available, and you can also park along the road.
- When parking along the road, please “back in” to park perpendicularly on the grass.
- No parking at Pal Joey’s, please.
AND THE FIELDS?
- Each of the eight fields is approximately 75 feet wide by 135 feet long, and the goals are four feet tall by six feet across.
- We will have signs marking Field numbers 1 through 8, with Fields 1 and 2 closest to the Shed.
- There are three Porta-Potties (not bathrooms) at Aliber, next to the south parking lot.
IS SEATING PROVIDED?
- Sorry, no. Aliber Soccer Complex does not have player benches or spectator bleachers.
- Please bring folding chairs or plan on standing.
ARE MERCHANDISE AND CONCESSIONS AVAILABLE?
- Yes and Yes.
- Custom-order tournament apparel will be available from our friends at Fine Designs.
- At check-in, your team will receive a coupon for each team member, which you can use for a free logo on your custom gear.
- Concessions, operated by Soccer West, will be for sale during the games.
- Concessions offerings will include hot cocoa, coffee, Gatorade, water, chips and candy.
WHAT ABOUT THE PUMPKIN PIE?
- We’re giving a Pumpkin Pie to the top team in each division, based on pool play. There are no championship matches, and no medals and no trophies. Our goal is to focus on the FUN!
- Pumpkin Pies will also be given out for the following categories:
- o Pumpkin-Decorating Contest (one entry per team, and please write your team name and age group on your pumpkin)
- o Best Team Name
- o Sportsmanship Award
- o Craziest Hair
- o Coolest Uniforms
WE CAN’T WAIT TO GET THE PARTY STARTED! ANY LAST FRIENDLY REMINDERS?
- Sportsmanship and safety are more important than winning.
- Please be kind to everyone at all times (this includes the referees).
- Our big goal is to HAVE FUN!
THANK YOU to the 32 teams who are part of the inaugural FestiFall.
We’ll see you very soon!